What is the Belmont Special Education Advisory Council (BSEAC)?
BSEAC is a parent advisory council as mandated by Massachusetts state law (Chapter 71B). We are dedicated family members of children with disabilities, who educate each other, who collaborate with school professionals and who exchange ideas and information. We welcome participation from all interested community members.
What We Do:
- We advocate for a quality education for all students in the Belmont Public Schools, in particular those with special needs.
- We advise the Belmont school administration and School Committee on special education issues.
- We assist families to effectively participate in the special education process.
- We acknowledge school professionals and community members in their efforts to support our children
How We Do It:
- We provide workshops, presentations, and discussions for families and professionals.
- We meet regularly with school administrators and the School Committee.
- We communicate via our newsletter, web site, and listserves.
- We host the annual Appreciation Awards in May.
- We organize an afternoon of games, crafts, and food for children with special needs and their families.
- We sponsor a support group.
- We offer a new resource library at the Chenery Middle School.