Belmont Public Schools Search MDOE MDPH
Department of Health and Nursing Services
Home Page
Physical Examinations
Immunization Requirements
Medication Administration
Meet Your School Nurse
Public Health and Community Resources
About Flu
Home ›

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What if my child needs medication in school?

Medication may not be given in school until the school nurse receives written orders from the student's medical provider /dentist. A parent or guardian signature is also required. This applies to both prescription and over the counter medications including inhalers, ointments, ear/eye drops, Tylenol, etc. If medications are to be given in school, read guidelines on Medication administration page:

Q. Does my child need a physical examination before starting
school for the first time?

All students new to the school district must submit a signed physical examination performed by a health care practitioner, conducted within past 13 months. Massachusetts law (M.G.L. c 71, s 57 and related amendments and regulations 105 CMR 200.000- 200.920) require physical examinations of school children within 13 months before entry into school or during the first month after entry, and at intervals of either 3 or 4 years thereafter, such as Kindergarten, 4th grade, 7th grade and 10th grade. Forms are available in the school clinic and on Physical Examinations page.

Q. Will my child have their vision tested in school?

Students in grades K - 5 receive an annual hearing and vision screening exam as required by Massachusetts law. Screening is also done at least once in grade 6 – 8 and at least once during grades 9 -12. In addition, all students in grades 5 – 9 have a postural screening done for scoliosis. Parent(s) / guardian(s) will receive written notification if further evaluation by a medical provider is recommended.

Q. What immunizations will my child need for school?

According to Massachusetts law, all students in grades K-12 attending the schools within the state must be properly immunized. The following immunizations must be documented by a health care practitioner, with dates including at least month and year; full dates are preferable and sometimes necessary. This law also indicates that a student without such proof of immunizations may be excluded from attending school. For more information go to Immunization Requirements page.

Q. When should I keep my child home because of illness?

There are times when a student should remain at home for his/her own welfare and for the protection of other students and staff. The following criteria may be used to determine when a child should remain at home:
1. Has a cold in the contagious stage (first 3-5 days)
2. Sore throat and swollen neck glands accompanied by a fever
3. Undiagnosed rash or skin eruptions
4. Earache, red eyes or drainage from the eyes
5. Tonsillitis or any communicable disease
6. Fever over 100 during the past 24 hours
7. Vomiting or diarrhea within the past 24 hours
8. Head lice (until treated and all nits are removed)

If your son/daughter develops a communicable disease or condition, (e.g. chicken pox, strep throat, scarlet fever, fifth’s disease or head lice) please notify your child’s school nurse. This will enable us to monitor your child’s progress and other student / staff exposure.

Students should remain at home a minimum of one day following the resolution of an acute illness. Please check the student’s temperature before returning to school. A student should be “fever free” for 24 hours before returning to school. Remember, the essentials of good health are good nutrition, plentiful fluids, regular exercise and plenty of rest.

Q. What will you do if my child becomes ill at school?

The School Health Clinic in each school is staffed by a full time registered nurse whose time may be shared with other schools should the need arise. When a student becomes ill at school, the parents or guardian will be notified and expected to come for the student as soon as possible. Each parent or guardian is asked to provide the school with the name of an alternate person to be notified in the event a parent / guardian cannot be reached. Please notify the school when name or number changes.

  Home Page | Physical | Immunization | Medication | Contact Us | Resources